World Mental Health Day
Hello there! Did you know that today is World Mental Health Day?
This day is of significance to me as you know that I am someone who has and continues to struggle with depression. It is important today as it is everyday to check in with your own mental health and to check in with others who you know may be struggling or who may just appreciate some kind words.
Here are some positive steps that you can take to help take care of your mental health:
- Get a good nights sleep. Being well rested can have positive affects on mood.
- Schedule an appointment to talk to a therapist. There is nothing wrong with talking to a mental health professional. Life can have many everyday stressors even if you do not struggle with depression. It can be helpful to talk to someone who is impartial so that you can talk openly about everything that is happening in your life.
- Call someone. It can be easy to isolate yourself when you are feeling depressed. Reaching out to others can give you a good mental pick me up. Call and talk about anything that makes you feel happy or share what is bothering you with a close friend who you trust.
- Get your heart rate up. Go for a short run or go to the gym. The natural release of endorphins can be a mood booster.
- Plan something fun like a dinner out with friends or a day trip somewhere. Having something to look forward to can bring some positivity into your life.
If you’ve had thoughts of suicide or self-harm or know someone who is in crisis, or if you just need to talk to someone, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or contact the Crisis Text Line by texting TALK to 741-741.
What are some ways that you take care of your own mental health? Be sure to check in with your friends and family today and every day.