Steps for Letting Go of Negativity.
Lately I have been working a lot on my attitude and my outlook. Our days are what we make them. Sometimes struggling with depression it can be hard to get up and get out of bed. The days seem long and everything seems dark but somehow I always manage to pull myself out and get going.
Recently I met someone who always carries an outlook of positivity. I marvel at this way of thinking because I can see how much brightness this person carries with them. Their positivity is contagious. It is hard not to feel pings of joy rather than feelings of heaviness. As I continue with my therapy to work through depression one of my goals is to find a way to flip my attitude so that I can see the positive and to hold my focus on the positives without giving power to my worries. I am tired of constantly burdening myself with worry.
Here are some steps that I am taking and that you can take too to begin to let go of negativity . . .
- Don’t give power to things in the past. Acknowledge that they happened and then let them go.
- Write it down. Journaling can be a helpful tool because you can get all of your negative thoughts out and it is only for you. Once you have written your thoughts it’s time to turn the page.
- Choose positive mantras. Life is like a run, sometimes it is hard and sometimes it is easy. Find positive mantras to repeat to yourself when things get hard.
- Dance. Even if it is in the car by yourself or you are having a wild dance party in the kitchen with your kids. Moving your body to music can help you release any negativity.
- Surround yourself with positive people. Spend time with people who have a positive outlook and who bring you happiness. This will easily boost how you feel!
- Focus on what you can control. Negativity comes quickly when you focus on things that are out of your control. Make a list of the things that you can’t control and then rip it to shreds. Change your focus and look forward.
- Get out of your comfort zone. Trying something new while bringing you some feelings of discomfort because it is new will also bring you positivity through growth in learning and doing something new.
These steps are just a start to moving forward to positivity but are things that I am trying for myself. The quote above resonated with me because the words are so true-“All seasons are beautiful for the person who carries happiness within.” -Horace Friess. If we are able to carry happiness then we will be able to see the beauty and positivity in every day even when it is just the small things.
Be well friends! What are some steps you take to be more positive?