Everything had been going along really well with my running and fitness. I had been injury free for years minus a few twinges here and there. Now all of a sudden I am back in the throes of injury and I haven’t even been doing anything too strenuous. My last big running event was the Wallis Sands Half Marathon in May and since then I have been taking it pretty easy. I have been running a bit and doing some CrossFit but nothing too crazy. On Monday though I went to CrossFit and ended up leaving with some major back issues going on. There was nothing unusual about CrossFit except for that I had some unusual tightness in my low back while we were working out. Our workout consisted of three parts.
- First up was a series of rowing on the erg coupled with sets of burpees.
- After that we did 8 minutes of 5 front squats every minute on the minute. My weight was not too crazy but we did have to clean the barbell from the floor each time for the first rep. I lifted 73 pounds.
- Finally we finished with cleans and more erging in a ladder-30 cleans-30 cals on erg, 20 cleans-20 cals on erg, 10 cleans-10 cals on erg.
When we finished my lower back felt extremely tight and I could feel the muscles begin to spasm. By the time I got home I needed to lay flat on my floor with an ice pack and was having trouble with simple motions such as bending over to tie a shoe and getting in and out of a chair. Ugh! This feeling was very similar to what was going on way back when I had SI Joint Dysfunction before.
I’m an #injuredrunner right now. SI Joint Dysfunction has me out of commission again. Read about it! #bibchat #runchatTweet
Now I am hobbling around like a little old lady trying not to throw my back into spasms with the slightest subtle movement. So what is my current plan to get myself back up and running?
- Alternating Heat and Ice
- Icy Hot-This stuff is like magic!
- Ibuprofen-I hate taking it but know that it can help with any inflammation.
- Massage-Going to try a massage to see if it helps.
- Chiropractic-This will be my next step if things don’t settle down.
- Take a break from CrossFit-I am bummed about this but clearly my body is not happy with me at CrossFit right now.
- Start swimming again.
- Return to running slowly as soon as I can get my back to stabilize.
This is not where I had planned to be at this point in the summer because now the weather is nice and prime for running. Hopefully I’ll be back at it soon!
Have you recently or are you currently injured? What do you do instead of running when you are injured?