What do you do when you are not running?
Boston Marathon training is in full swing. I just realized today that the race is only about two months away. YIKES! It seems like most of my time these days is spent out on the roads trying to log as many miles as possible. But sometimes my body needs a break from running. Rest days and cross training are important elements for all athletes so that your body has ample recovery time and also to prevent injury.
Here are some of the many ways that I take care of my body when I am not out logging the miles:
- Spinning or Riding on my bike trainer
- Cross Country Skiing-Back Country or Skate Skiing, I’ll take what I can get!)
- Snow Biking (well, I haven’t actually tried this yet but Organic Runner Dad and I have plans to do this before the snow melts!)
- Strength Training
- Sledding with my kids (you can actually get a nice short hill repeat workout!)
- Shoveling (well-this might only be good in winter when the snow flies but shoveling can be great for your leg strength, back, and arm strength!)
- Core Workouts
- Ice Skating (I used to be a figure skater and I am hoping to try out Nordic Skating this winter).
- Foam Rolling/Muscle Rolling
- Massage (ha! This only happens if I am super lucky but i can dream right?)
- Nutrition planning for my workouts.
- Meditation and Visualization (I need to make more time for this as race day draws near!)
- Visits to the Chiropractor (I am in serious need of a good chiropractic adjustment right now!)
- Go for a walk.
What is your favorite non running workout? What do you like to do on your rest/recovery days?