Night Running Safety Gear
Night running can be exhilarating but it can also be dangerous due to low visibility of obstacles in your path, the danger of oncoming traffic, running safely by yourself. These are important things to consider before you head out alone for a run in the dark especially because you will want to be able to run home safely to your family and friends when you are finished!
Here are some essential items you should have in your arsenal of running “tools” to keep you safe out on a gorgeous night:
- A Reflective Vest–My current favorite is the Amphipod XINGLET which is also a fantastic choice because it is lightweight, fits close to the body, and comes equipped with built in “blinkie” light on the back and front of the vest for maximum visibility when night running
- A headlamp–I love any PETZL headlamp.
- A neon colored jacket (the brighter the better) or a jacket using reflective fabric.
- Pepper Spray (as female runner this provides me with an extra sense of security) and you can quickly have it in your hands if necessary!
- A Road ID-This is an easy way to carry identification without having to worry about losing your driver’s license.
- SOL Slim Rescue Howler-A flat safety whistle that you could even slip into the pocket of your Skirt Sports!
- “Blinkie” Lights . . . you know those cut little lights that people use on their bikes when riding at night or in running relays like Reach the Beach (catch those blinkies!)
- A cell phone
- Run with a friend if possible.