Hi there! So I did not post my goals for 2020 yet. Usually this is something that I do at the beginning of January. What’s been holding me back? Well, you see, I usually load myself up with goals masking the real things that I need to work on. I tend to hide behind keeping myself busy rather than working on what really needs to be the focus.
So now I am ready to set a goal for 2020 or rather to set my intention for this new year even though it is almost February.
This year I am going to have one main goal, on e intention. My goal is to work on ME! Those of you who have been following my blog know my ups and downs with my mental health struggles . . . if not you can read more in these posts- My depression, Changing my outlook, hello it’s me . . . to get a small glimpse at my history. I need to make my main focus working on me. There are many things that are hard for me-I struggle with being alone, I have a hard time facing my feelings and fears, I allow negative people and negativity to influence my mood, I have a hard time saying no to the people that affect me with negativity, I don’t stop to breathe and make sure that what I am doing affects me positively before I act, I am guilty of negative self-talk and apologizing for myself, I let perfectionism drive me, I shut down when things become hard rather than being open to communication.
Let’s check-in. A goal for 2020. #goals #goalsetting #mentalhealthTweet
It is time to start taking control of my life and to work towards making changes to these things. Will it be hard, YES but can I do it, YES! And I am going to work on this with the support of those who love and support me and my therapists.
I came across this posting on a friend’s facebook page today about how to become more self-empowered and found that it had a lot of good tips for helping me to work on my goal.
So many good steps here . . .
- Creating daily rituals-for me this will mean beginning a journal.
- Pausing and working through triggers rather than just reacting-This is a biggie for me. When I get triggered my response is to react right away which is a negative because I don’t give myself time to think. This needs to change!
- Create Boundaries in your Relationships. I have never been great at this and often allow people to walk all over me, control me, or direct my actions . . . I need to CUT THIS OUT!!! It’s time to learn to say no and to set up boundaries.
- Witness how you speak to yourself. It’s time to get rid of the negative self-deprecating voice.
- Practice Saying “NO!” without apologizing. This is a tough one for me as I always ended up retracting my no or not making it a strong no by saying “I’m sorry.” which takes away it’s effectiveness.
- Show gratitude towards the people who positively impact you. I need to make the positive people the focus of my days. And to not allow the negative people or people who do not lift me up to steal my energy. I have been allowing this for a long time. I need to foster the positive relationships that surround me.
Now that I’ve set my intention it is time to start putting in the hard work. Step one . . . I’ve got to start that journal!