1.NYC MARATHON Training Update
This has been a long week. If you hadn’t read it earlier this week we had to say goodbye to our sweet Cairn Terrier Lucy last weekend (warning: you may cry upon reading). Most people would drown their sorrows in a glass of wine or two but for me this week, running has been my healing activity of choice. Nothing like heading out for a solo 22 miler and spending half of the run bawling your eyes out. I had the opportunity to run with a friend but chose to run alone because I knew that I need time alone to think and process. The run went surprisingly well despite all of my crying and time flew quickly with some faster miles in the middle. I was happy to complete this run which is the longest run of my training cycle for the TCS New York City Marathon. My run time ended up being a solid 3:11.43!!!! After this the mileage for the weekend runs will be growing shorter which I am thankful for. I have been feeling extra depleted emotionally and physically.
In addition to this long run this week I’ve nailed some Fartlek run workouts, enjoyed some relaxing miles on the treadmill and gotten my ass kicked at bootcamp!
2. NYC MARATHON and TEAM CLARKE
Due to your kind generosity in giving. Together we have raised $2,596 for the Clarke Schools for Hearing and Speech! I will be running my 26.2 miles for all of you and your generous donations and in honor of my niece Shaw, my Aunt Susan and all of the kids and families in the Clarke Schools Community. To read more about TEAM Clarke at The NYC Marathon and WHY I am running you can take a look at my inspiration post.
To make a donation please click on the link:
Please help me to SMASH my fundraising goal!
3. Inspiration, Laughs and More . . .
- This will most certainly put a smile on your face, “This grandpa has admired his grandkids’ light-up shoes for the last eight years — so imagine his complete surprise to receive a pair of his own for his birthday”. . . “Dad Gets Mind Blowing Birthday Surprise”
- This has made its way around the web before but I thought of it again when we saw a porcupine up close in our fields one after noon this week, “Teddy Bear the Porcupine Enjoys His First Pumpkin”
- rUnladylike talks about, “What Finally Made Me Feel Differently About My Body.” Yes!
- This Runners Recipes shares, “4 LATERAL STRENGTH EXERCISES TO IMPROVE YOUR RUNNING” So many great exercises here. I learned all about how to strengthen my lateral muscles when I landed myself in PT. Wouldn’t it be better to be proactive and do the strengthening first? Definitely check out what Laura has to say!
- “23 Thoughts for 23 Miles” from Elite Runner Tina Muir at Fuel Your Future with Tina Muir. I loved this post especially since I had recently wrapped up a 22 miler!
4. Recipe Round-up
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili–A definite win in our house. Delicious fall flavors and great comfort food!
- Spicy Shrimp Tacos with garlic cilantro lime slaw. I am always on the quest for the best shrimp tacos and so far this recipe from A Pinch of Yum is in the lead to take the win!
- Taming of the Spoon’s Mahi Mahi with Thai Coconut Curry Sauce. I couldn’t get my hands on any Mahi Mahi so I made this using Tilapia. Organic Runner Dad devoured it!
5. Fresh Review–Stridebox
STRIDEBOX is a subscription box service specifically for runners. The subscription is $15 per month. STRIDEBOX partners with great running companies each month to send you a curated box of runner’s goodies for you to try. The box is filled specifically with products that are all focused on running, training, and recovery. I love these types of subscription boxes because they are a great way to find new products such as new energy gels and other great products to use pre, during, and post run.
Here is a peek at the goodies that arrived in the October STRIDEBOX:
- NEW GROUNDS Coffee Bar. These are a delicious treat! Just check out my review.
- Sport Beans-Extreme. Extra carbs, electrolytes and caffeine. This sounds like a perfect combo to me!
- EVOKE Foods Muesli–I love hearty cereals like these!
- TAILWIND Endurance Fuel–Popular in the Ultra Running Community I have been eager to try Tailwind. Great for hydration and keeping your electrolytes in balance.
- SportTea–I have never heard of this daily energy tea before. This would be nice after a cold winter run. I will be doing a lot of these cold runs this winter when I am training for the Boston Marathon.
- PJUR Active 2Skin Anti Chafing Gel– Since you are probably an endurance sport athlete too you know how important it is to stay ahead of the game when it comes to chafing. This sounds like a great option
- RUNDANA–This is perhaps my favorite item in this months box. The RUNDANA can be used as a headband or neckwarmer and is lightweight and UV protective. I love wearing this type of thing once the snow starts to fly and the temps drop. And this one is extra cool with its running theme!
Have you ever received a STRIDEBOX. This would definitely make a cool gift for the holidays for your running and triathlon friends! Definitely check it out!
Share some of your greatest running moments of the week. What is your current favorite recipe. Do you have a blog that you love to read? I ‘d love to hear which one!