You can’t beat beets in a smoothie!
Taking the October Unprocessed Challenge from blogger Andrew Wilder of Eating Rules not only makes you think more carefully about the kind of food that you are eating but it also inspires you to use ingredients in new ways. This week we enjoyed some beautiful and richly delicious organic red and golden beets during dinner one night. Since we had left overs I decided that I wanted to try using the beets in a new way. As you know I love smoothies because you can load them with incredible ingredients and they make a fantastic snack after a long trail run. I have to admit I have never made a smoothie using beets but I was ready to try something new and beets have such delicious natural sugars that I knew they would make a great addition to a berry smoothie. For an additional twist I added Chia Seeds which are a great source of Omega-3 and a good source of fiber Plus Chia Seeds add a mildly nutty flavor.
So here is my first try at a smoothie recipe using beets–Chia, Berry and Beets Smoothie . . . Please let me know what you think!
- *Yield: makes 2 servings (1 cup each)
- 1 Scoop of Tera's Whey Organic Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1/2 Scoop of Chia Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Local Strawberries from Four Corners Farm
- 1/4 Cup Organic Local Golden and Red Beets
- 1/4 Frozen Organic Raspberries
- 2 Cups LowFat Stonyfield Organic Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Champlain Valley Apiaries Raw Honey
- Cut stems from strawberries.
- Beets should be cooked at a gentle boil until softened (mine were reserved from a previous meal). Chop beets into quarters.
- Place ingredients into blender: 1 scoop of Tera's Whey Organic Vanilla Protein Powder, 1/2 Scoop Chia Seeds (scoop provided with seeds), add strawberries, beets, and frozen raspberries (eliminates the need for crushed ice)
- Finally add milk and honey for extra sweetness (I fudge the amount depending on how sweet I want my smoothie). Mix smoothie until blended. Drink and enjoy!