Why can finding positivity be so difficult at times. Why is it so easy for others words to crumble our sense of self-worth or to rob us of our feelings of success? Negative words from otghers can bring about great feelings of self-doubt and negativity. Finding inner strength is one of the greatest keys to overcoming this.
I have always considered myself to be a positive person, an optimist. I am a giver. I want to help others. I wear my heart on my sleeve. These personality traits enable me to allow many in to my circle of friends. However I am not always so keen as to be able to sense when what I am giving is being taken and taken for granted, expected and not reciprocated. For some it is expected of me that that I will just “roll with” whatever is dished out whether it be positive or words that may be hurtful often unintentionally and even intentionally. Being wide-open to others while being a trait that I value about myself is also one which makes me vulnerable. This is my kryptonite and can bring me much harm.
One of the best defenses against this type of behavior is best summed up in the advice that I often give to my children when their feelings have been hurt. Rather than to dwell on the negativity coming from others we must try to perhaps understand that maybe the friend may be going through something that is difficult or perhaps they too are feeling insecure. Words and actions can be weapons used to hurt but they can also be powerful tools to heal, and help. We must stand up for ourselves and not downgrade our own self-worth just because of someone else. We must also find strategies from within to be stronger and to believe in our own power and strength..
I am going to work hard on myself to affirm with positivity my own strengths. The more that we believe in ourselves the stronger we become and the more we can achieve.
Here are five statements of positivity for today:
- “In order to carry a positive action we must develop here a positive vision.” -Dalai Lama
- “It’s your outlook on life that counts. If you take yourself lightly and don’t take yourself too seriously, pretty soon you can find the humor in our everyday lives. And sometimes it can be a lifesaver.”-Betty White
- “The best thing to do when you find yourself in a hurting or vulnerable place is to surround yourself with the strongest, finest, most positive people you know.”-Kristin Armstrong
- “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within” – Maya Angelou
- “You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do” – Eleanor Roosevelt
We could all use a little more positivity in our lives. What will you do today to affirm your strengths? Do you have any quotes about positivity that guide you and that have become mantras?