It’s time for another Goals Check-In!
I think the April Fools Day Joke this year is that winter is here to stay. We keep getting hints at warmer temperatures and then snowflakes and cold winds arrive. I am trying to will it to be spring by doing a little bit of spring cleaning and I even ordered a mini-indoor greenhouse so we can get going with starting seeds for our garden. Even if spring never arrives I still need to make some new goals!
We did discover a major sign of spring today on a snowshoe hike in the mountains behind our house. The bears have awakened. We found fresh, large bear tracks in the snow. You could even make out the claws. This is a reminder of why I like to trail run with a friend by my side. I am not sure what I would do if I encountered a bear in the woods when I was alone. It was “scary” enough seeing a porcupine in very close proximity as I ran up the mountain trail last year. I let out a loud shriek and nearly jumped out of my skin. It was pretty cool to find the bear tracks though and our kids loved following the trail of the bear in hopes of spotting it.
Being on the trails made me eager to get out in the woods for some trail running. Thankfully the physical therapy that I have been doing for my back has been paying off. I have had some minor setbacks but finally feel like the strengthening work that I have done with my lower abdominal muscles and pelvic floor is giving me more stability so my SI joint is cooperating. I have slowly been adding in my weight training to include squats with lighter weights and lunges as well as upper body and core strengthening. I
have also slowly been adding in running miles. My running miles are not fast and I have been running “naked” (with no watch) because at this point who cares about split times. When I run I am focusing on my form. Before my back went totally crazy I had become a lazy runner using my hips to propel me forward and basically my gluteus maximus just came along for the ride. Now I am extra focus on my posture when i run and on engaging my glutes to propel me forward. Changing my running form while exhausting will pay off in the long term and maybe even make me a faster runner. We’ll see! That’s why setting goals is so important! They keep me motivated and moving forward.
Ok, enough with the adult chit chat as my four year old says and on to my goals for April.
April Training and Life Goals
- Get to bed earlier! I must make this happen! I need to be disciplined!
- Get up at least one morning a week for an early morning workout. This used to be easy for me when I was a rower but somehow the snooze button has become my friend. Perhaps I need to move my alarm clock across the room.
- Select and prepare at least two new recipes every week. It’s all about the clean eating!
- Set my race calendar for triathlon this summer. I am already signed up for my first Ironman 70.3, The Timberman Triathlon.
- Choose some goal running races.
- Go for as many group runs with friends as my body allows. Even though I have not been desperate to run outside in the arctic blast this year I have been missing group training runs with my friends and all of the laughs that come with them.
- Laugh more!
This April FitFluential has an awesome Clean Eating Challenge that you won’t want to miss. To Find out more about the #FFCHALLENGE 30 Days of Eating Clean starting April 1st Click HERE. #FFSPRINGCLEAN
What are your goals for April? Do you have any big races coming up? What is your favorite source for recipes?
More ways to connect with Organic Runner Mom
- Twitter–> @organicrunmom
- Instagram–> @organicrunnermom
- Facebook–> Organic Runner Mom
- Pinterest–> Organic Runner Mom
- Bloglovin’–> Organic Runner Mom
- Email–> firstname.lastname@example.org