Dare I say it? “It’s SPRING!”
Hopefully by saying this I won’t have jinxed it and caused the most epic April blizzard . . . But since spring appears here to stay let’s talk about 5 reasons to LOVE spring running!
1. MUD! Don’t you just love getting a little “pig pen” dirty on a run? I love the smell of the fresh spring mud when the earth is starting to come alive again. And there is nothing better than splashing through a giant mud puddle just like a kid!
2. BIRDS. They are finally coming back to greet me on my runs again. My favorite is the red-winged blackbird cheerfully singing their song from the tree branches as I speed along. Which bird is your favorite?
3. Running with bare legs! Yes, my legs are out of hibernation after the long cold winter and unless it gets wicked cold again it is time for skirts!
4. Daylight. Plenty of daylight. It’s time to put aside the flashing vests and headlamps (unless you are running a night relay) and to run in the late afternoon daylight. Let the sun warm your spirit!
5. Racing! Yes! First the Boston Marathon and then hopefully a lot more racing fun. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don’t end up in a boot like last year.