Triathlon training. A new adventure.
Triathlon training for my first Olympic Distance triathlon is underway and I am hooked. As is typical with me now that I have started and am preparing for my first race I am already dreaming about bigger goals and contemplating a possible half Ironman . . .???? I guess I need to slow down and see how the actual race goes as at this point I still have so many big questions about racing. a triathlon.
Now that I have started training in the pool and on my bike in addition to my usual running my body is feeling happier. I love training for marathons but putting in most of your training mileage on your feet definitely puts a strain on your body. The Boston Marathon was amazing but it was definitely fatiguing to my body. Also, the emotional work that I had to do leading up to and during the race was exhausting (I promise I still have a Boston Marathon Recap coming!). I am finding renewed energy in my new focus!
Here is what I am loving so far about triathlon training:
- I love doing laps.
- I feel like a kid again when I hop in the pool to swim free-style.
- I love riding my bike with my friends. They are truly inspirational and supportive and challenge me!
- Being on my bike takes me on new adventures and I am inspired by the scenery where I live.
- I love ending with the run! Hopping off the bike and heading for a run feels like I am meeting up with my old friend!
- I love the intensity of working through a tough climb on a bike and then cruising on the way back down.
- Doing a time trial is actually fun (at least for now) because I have no previous times to compare to!
- I love the new soreness in muscles that I’d forgotten I have.