The Importance of sunscreen for runners and athletes.
It’s the height of summer and training for summer and fall races is in full swing. With the sun at is hottest and the days at there longest so as athletes we must never forget and that is to apply sunscreen. I have always been active outdoors in the woods, on the road, and in the water. With my skin constantly exposed to the harmful rays of the sun I always try to remember to wear my sunscreen before I go out for my workout.
The question when it comes to sunscreen is always which one. There are so many different brands to choose from with so many different ingredients. It is just as important for me to know what is in our sunscreen as it is to know what is in the food that we eat.
Why should you wear sunscreen when you are running?
- As an athlete you are at a higher risk for developing skin cancer due to longer hours of sun exposure
- Wearing sunscreen will help keep your skin looking young.
- Sun exposure can be greater in certain outdoor environments including sandy beaches, snow, training near the water etc.
A Review of Block Island Organics for Runners and Athletes
* Block Island Organics sent me a bottle of SPF 30 Mineral Sunscreen in exchange for my review. All opinions expressed here are my own.
I am always on the hunt for the best natural sunscreen to protect my skin from the sun (and my family’s too) but also because I also prefer to use natural ingredients to protect my skin. There have even been reports recently such as the one in Consumer Reports warning against the use of spray on sunscreen due to the lack of information about the risks of its use. I was excited to try Block Island Organics Natural Mineral Sunscreen because it contains only natural ingredients making it safer for me and my family.
What you will like about Block Island Organics
- No Nano-particles!
- Block Island Organics contains Certified Organic Ingredients
- The main active ingredient is Zinc-Oxide. (This makes it especially great for swim workouts!)
- This is not a chemical sunscreen! All mineral sunscreens are made with ingredients found in nature
- Block Island Organics is a family business started on Block Island of the Coast of Rhode Island.
- Even though this is a Zinc-Oxide based product it goes on relatively smoothly.
- This sunscreen is SPF 30 which is a good sun protection factor
- Block Island Organics is a great sunscreen for kids!
Block Island Organics Mineral Sunscreen Giveaway
Protect your skin on the run!
What is the most important factor for you when choosing sunscreen. Do you always wear sunscreen when you are active outdoors?
More ways to connect with Organic Runner Mom