As I log my miles on the road on my bike as I prepare for my half Ironman later this summer I have been thinking a lot about safety on the bike. It seems as though the number of car vs. bike accidents this year has been larger or perhaps its that I am more aware of it. This includes an accident between a bike and a car during the White Mountains Triathlon over the weekend (hopefully the rider will make a full recovery). Getting out n my bike is both freeing but a little scary at the same time. We are lucky to have gorgeous roads for riding with scenic vistas overlooking the Connecticut river and also of the White Mountains. However many of these roads are old winding roads with little or no shoulder. This means that when I am on my bike I am always on hyper alert about vehicles on the road.
What are some of the best ways to stay safe when you are cycling?
- Make sure that your bike is tuned up and ready to ride. This includes your brakes!
- Check your pedals and clips on your shoes to make sure that they are in proper working order.
- Check your tire pressure before you head out on the road.
- Wear bright colors.
- Ride with a group. There is always safety in numbers.
- Choose reflective clothing and use reflectors on your bike.
- Using flashing lights at dusk. Red on your back!
- Get a headlight for use if you are riding when it is dark.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic
- Always wear a helmet
- Obey traffic laws and learn proper hand signals.
- Ride at low traffic times or in low traffic areas
- Bring a cell phone in case you run into trouble
- Carry an ID
Do you have any other cycling safety tips to share? Do you get nervous about safety when you are out on your bike or out on a road run?
A few last quick things . . .
Don’t miss my latest GIVEAWAY HERE to win a Empowering Warrior Bracelet from Endorphin Warrior!
Runner’s World Cover Contest
If you have a chance please vote for me to be on the cover of Runner’s World Magazine. I would love your support! VOTE HERE #224 Sandra Laflamme AKA Organic Runner Mom. Thank you!!!
More ways to connect with Organic Runner Mom
- Twitter–> @organicrunmom
- Instagram–> @organicrunnermom
- Facebook–> Organic Runner Mom
- Pinterest–> Organic Runner Mom
- Bloglovin’–> Organic Runner Mom