Happy Global Running Day!
Happy Global Running Day friends!
For those of us who are running obsessed and who love to get out and move this is our day!
Global Running Day Running Fun
Here are a few interesting facts about me and running:
- My first official race was the Twilight 5K in Nantucket, MA in 1998. I found the t-shirt when we were cleaning out some old boxes over the weekend. I remember running this race and having absolutely no clue how to pace myself. I loved the feeling of the endorphin rush on the course. I hadn’t specifically trained for this race as the only running that I was doing at that point was to stay in shape for rowing which was my first love!
- My first running shoes were Nikes. I wore Nikes all through high school and college as they were the only shoes that fit my super narrow foot. I remember my favorite pair having a hot pink swoosh and that there was a see-through air cushion in the heel that you could see. I loved my Nikes until I ended up with a stress fracture in college landing me in the ice bath almost every day after crew practice and no more running for a bit only erging (rowing machine)
- My first marathon was the Nike Women’s Marathon in San Francisco. I ran it with The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society on the Team in Training. You can read my full Nike Women’s Marathon Race Recap here and see how my running fashion has changed!
- Before I was on my quest to run the Boston Marathon I spent most of my time running on trails and in the mountains. I ran many races like the Loon Mountain Race, There’s a Black Fly in My Eye 10 Mile Trail Race, The Circumburke Challenge in Burke Vermont which is also a race for mountain bikes and even the Bear Brook Trail Marathon in NH which ended up being closer to 28 miles than 26.2. I hope to get back into more trail and mountain racing as there are tons of great races in my area to choose from. My true love for running began on the trails. I definitely hope to get back to doing some more trail racing!
- My favorite distance to race is actually the Half Marathon. I am not sure why I have become so obsessed with running marathons. Once I got onto the Boston Marathon track I just wanted to keep running more and more marathons. But there is something so fun about running half marathons. The training is very manageable especially when you are busy and/or have kids. I love running that distance because I always feel like I can use the first several miles to get into my pacing groove and then I can just hammer it! You will probably see me racing more half marathons in the upcoming years. This distance is definitely my sweet spot! My fastest half marathon is a 1:37.48 which I ran at the Half Marathon Unplugged in 2012 when I was in peak fitness trying to qualify for my first Boston Marathon. I would love to break my old P.R. We’ll see what the future holds!
I am excited to announce that I am now a part of the Running Buddy Ambassador Team! Running Buddy is, “a lightweight, comfortable pouch that can carry more than just one energy gel and be belt free.” Running Buddy also carries several other great products including the Buddy Brite, an LED light that is simple to attach to the back of each shoe. This is a great piece of running safety equipment for better visibility. Later today I will be giving away a set of Buddy Brites to one lucky runner. To find this giveaway please check out my instagram!
I’d love to hear some interesting facts about you and running! What was your first race? Your first shoe. Your favorite P.R.? How many miles will you run for global running day?